Even though this Palisade was never completed,
it still is an amazing structure and represents the end of an
era for the Denver South Park and Pacific Railroad who dreamed
of building a railway over Ohio Pass down to the North Fork of
the Gunnison River and on to California.
This Palisade was built by Italian Stone Masons brought over specifically
for this job from Italy as masons from this country were not capable
of doing the work. This Palisade is almost impossible to see from
the Ohio Pass Road even though it is close to the road.
An interpretive sign has been placed at this site.
Location: 23 miles N of Gunnison, Ohio Creek Pass
Legal: E2, Sec23, T14S, R87W, 6th PM
Current Use: Tourist Site
Designated: January 6, 1998
Culverts & Railbed Trail
The unfinished section of the railbed of the Denver,
South Park, and Pacific Railroad on upper Ohio Pass (1881-1882)
was known as the Ohio Creek Extension. The DSP&P had plans
to access the coal fields up the Ohio Creek Valley near Carbon
Peak and beyond to Floresta, then over Kebler Pass to Grand Junction
and beyond. The construction was completed to the lower Ohio Creek
Coal Mines at Kubler and Baldwin.
Much work went into the construction of the railbed, and it was
simply abandoned before completion. The fact that it was left
as "work in progress" gives a better glimpse of the
incredible and intact engineering remnants of a bygone era. Among
the visible remains are the 3 old rock culverts which were used
to divert a tributary of Ohio Creek under the railbed. The water
pools on the upstream side, goes down a drain, passes under rock
culvert on the downstream side. Two were completed while one was
not finished and gives a better idea of how they were constructed.
Address: 23 miles N of Gunnison, Ohio Pass
Legal: parts of Sec 23 & 24, T14S, R87W 6th PM
Current Use: Tourist Site
Designation: December 8, 1998
Fairview School was built shortly after District
Number Ten was organized in 1881. The school was located on Ohio
Creek on land donated by Lewis Easterly. Because of its location,
with its clear views of the Anthracites and Carbon Peak, it was
named Fairview School. The original two story school was built
of logs and included a cloak room and stage. In 1906, the old
log building was replaced with the current structure. In 1948,
Fairview school was closed and the students bused to Gunnison.
The building continues to be used for community functions.
Address: 4514 County Road 730, Ohio Creek
Legal: Parts of Sec 26, T51N,R1W,NMPM
Current Use: Community Center
Contact: Fairview School Association
Designated: September 2, 1999
BACK TO HOME