City Town Hall
The Ohio City Town Hall represents a significant
type of architectural style predominant around the turn of the
century. This late Victorian vernacular building possesses typical
features from this period such as storefront glazing, front facing
gable with a false wood front and tin siding embossed in a stone
of block pattern. A distinguishing characteristic is the corner
Originally, the town hall building was constructed in 1906 as
a mercantile company to serve the growing mining community of
Ohio City. The building was then used as a restaurant for a short
time before it became the Ohio City Town Hall in 1914. Now the
center of public activity in town, it serves as a community center.
Alterations to the town hall's exterior are minor. The storefront
has been replaced with windows after being boarded up for many
years. The rest of the exterior is unchanged. There are two outhouses
behind the main building.
Address is: 8503 County Road 76, Ohio City
Legal Address: Block 16, Lot 24, Roe's Addition
Current Use: Community Center
Contact: Gunnison County
Date Designated: June 18, 1996
The Ohio City Jail if one of the few original buildings
remaining in the small community of Ohio City. The Ohio City Hall
which is also on the County Historical Preservation list is adjacent.
The jail is in remarkable condition considering that it was built
in 1906. The two cells in the back of the building have bars on
the doors and windows. After the closure of the Ohio City Post
Office, the Postal Service installed "cluster boxes"
for the residents of the old mining town, and permitted the community
to retain the name of Ohio City.
Address: Miners Avenue
Legal: Lots 26 and 27 Block 16, Ohio City
Current Use: Mailbox site
Contact: Gunnison County
Designated: January 22, 2001
During the early years of Ohio City, school was
held for three months during the summer and three months during
the winter. Children living up the gulch of Gold Creek could only
attend during the summer as the snows were too deep. The first
school was held in a log house and in 1895/96 school was held
in the section house at Ohio City. The present school house was
built in 1897 and was in continuous use until the 1945/46 term
when the children were taken by bus to Gunnison. From that time
until 1961, the children were taught by Margaret Flick. After
consolidation of the rural schools, Mrs. Flick obtained the lease
on the school house, using it as a museum. In April of 1988,the
school board sold the building and land to the Quartz Creek Improvement
Assn. and it has been used for winter and spring meetings.
Address: 115 Miners Avenue Ohio City
Legal: Lots 26/27 Block A Stephensons Addition
Current Use: Community Center/Tourist site
Contact: Quartz Creek Improvement Assn.
Designated: May 4, 2004
BACK TO HOME